This past Tuesday I led another volunteer session at the Holtz Children's Hospital. It was another amazing night spent laughing, playing and sharing our love with these beautiful kids. Although we go with the intention to brighten these children's lives by spending some quality time with them, it never ceases to amaze me how these children end up brightening and changing ours.
It just blows me away how happy and witty they could be. They blow my mind every single time!!! Was I this talkative, opinionated and articulate when I was 6? Did i have this much personality? Hhmmm, I'd surely like to think so. We couldn't stop laughing the entire time we were there. Ashley, Ricky, AJ and Diania were a little bunch of clever characters with giant hearts of gold. I got so attached I wanted to take them home with me. We spent the night making personalized t-shirts, playing music with toy drums, cooking (fake) pizza and cake, putting puzzles together and making cool bracelets.
And I can't forget our volunteers, we couldn't do this without them. They are so wonderfully inspiring, thoughtful and generous. A big high five to them for dedicating a part of their time and life to give to others.
For those of you interested in volunteering, feel free to visit the Little Lighthouse Foundation website and sign-up for any projects that may interest you - there's a good variety. Keep in mind that spaces are limited and our projects are pretty popular so they usually fill up a month prior. But if you have any questions, feel free to email me anytime at email@example.com.
Last but not least, if you're new to volunteering, have ever had an interest or are thinking of making it a continuous part of your life's purpose, here are some of the many reasons to volunteer:
1. The feeling! .........Oh the feeling!! It's out of this world - I can't stress it enough. It makes you feel so incredibly good and it makes you look at the world so differently.
2. It's good for you: it reduces stress, increases your serotonin and endorphin levels which ultimately makes you happier.
3. To make a difference - to yourself, to others, to the universe. Imagine the feeling when you know you've changed someone's life for the better.
4. Learning - about compassion, new skills, new ways of thinking or seeing the world.
5. Finding purpose - discovering and nurturing who you truly are, to know and love yourself at the deepest level and to guide yourself back home when you lose your way.
6. Connecting with your community
7. Promoting self-love, personal growth and self-esteem
8. Bringing people together and making new friends from all realms of life.
love + happiness
with love, karina