Happy be-lated Thanksgiving! It's been a little while since my last post. The last three weeks have been emotionally & physically draining, challenging, inspirational and most of all, transitional. It's been one of those moments in my life where my strength, my will and my faith have been tested.
Luckily, I've learned more about myself than I ever have, and the experience has made me grateful and most of all aware. But what I realize is that I've chosen to take this path. What I've reminded myself during this transition is that we have choices in how we react to things, and these choices change the course of our lives. In the start of these unexpected changes, everything seemed dark and the pain seemed unbearable. Part of me knew that things happen for a reason and that everything would eventually get better with time. But, at that time, clarity, enlightment and a simple positive outlook seemed impossible. I couldn't remember of a time I had felt so lost, so weak and uninspired and most of all, hopeless. But luckily, with the genuine and wholesome support and love of my family and friends, i have been able to find that inner strength and have been able to see again, how the mystery of life works in such beautiful ways.
Today, although not completely healed from my wounds, I find myself feeling blessed, happy, and so ridiculously loved. I feel so lucky to have the life I have, with the good and the bad. Knowing that those moments that we consider "bad", are simply manifestations of something great that is soon to come. I realize that we are where we are meant to be...in every moment! There is a reason, even though we might not be aware of it at that moment.
“We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us.” ~Joseph Campbell
But I don't want to focus on my personal situation. I would rather share with you some of the amazing, inspirational and life-altering lessons I've learned or have been reminded of during these last few weeks. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways that I can't help but share it with everyone. And you will notice, there is so much meaning and so many answers behind each of these thoughts; it could apply to almost anything that we're going through. Here are some of my favorite life lessons:
1. "In taking a sacred pause, we dramatically increase the chances of making better choices and undertaking wiser actions. We simply have to remember to breathe once and relax, enjoying a moment of mindfulness and reflection, before responding."
2. “It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” -Henry David Thoreau
3. "Here is one secret of spiritual mastery and inner peace, freedom and autonomy: It is not what happens to us, but what we make of it, that makes all the difference. We can’t control the wind, but we can learn how to sail better. It’s not the hand we are dealt, but how we play it."
4. "The hardest thing isn’t taking the leap—it’s learning to relax in the free fall when you’re not sure yet where you’re going to land or how."
5. “Self knowledge is the beginning of self improvement.” –Spanish Proverb
6. “Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.” ~Proverb
7. At any given moment, there’s a lot of life happening around us. It’s far too much to take in all at once, which means we need to consciously choose where we place our attention—and how we perceive the things that we allow to hold our focus."
8. Sometimes the answer has nothing to do with more and everything to do with less.
9. "Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” ~ Bernice Johnson Reagon
10. There is power in learning what to tune out and what to allow in.
11. The real treasures in life have nothing to do with status and everything to do with leading fulfilling lives and sharing them with people.
12. “Don’t postpone joy until you have learned all of your lessons. Joy is your lesson.” -Alan Cohen